Top Quality “Splitting Maul”
Made in the USA by Council Tools – Established in 1886
6lb “Splitting Maul” Axe Eye with 36 inch Hickory Handle (60MA)
All Council axe heads are drop forged from high quality tool steel. The forging is then processed in an abrasive robotic work cell where the trim lines are removed, the shape refined and the cutting edges are ground, which yields highly consistent heads. Cutting edges are then heat treated and tempered. ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition. The final sharpening of the cutting edge is by hand using fine grit abrasives. Care is taken to not affect the tempered hardness of the bit. Heads are either painted or lacquered to deter rust and all polished surfaces are lacquered or oiled. American hickory handles are dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Handles are affixed to the heads using an extruded aluminum wedge which locks the head in a mechanical bond.
Council makes a wide variety of tools designed for use in splitting wood or logs. Our mauls are offered with an axe eye or sledge eye. The sledge eyes have a choice of wooden or fiberglass handles. The Hookeroon is a unique tool with a pick shape designed to stick and pull boards and lumber in saw mills and woodworking applications
Designed to split and "bust" wood, mauls feature a wood cutting blade on one end and a round striking face on the opposite end. The striking face is intended for driving steel wedges that are used in conjunction with splitting logs
* 6lb axe-eye style splitting maul with a 36" American hickory handle.
* Forged tool steel head, Made in USA, with clear lacquer finish to deter rust.
* Heat treatment of bit end produces fine grain structure and Rc 45-50 (Rockwell) for safety and toughness.
* Striking face is intended for driving steel wedges (Council # 5W) that are used in conjunction with splitting logs.
* 36" hickory handle is kiln dried before turning. Eye section is then dried below 10% moisture content prior to assembly.
* Handle is hydraulically inserted into head and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge, providing a very secure mechanical bond.
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate
We carry a good range of Council Tool axes and other quality USA made tools.