Please note: These are the new style Hudson Bay Velvicut Axes from Council Tools which retain some forging marks on the head (see pictures). Still the same high grade polished and unpainted 5160 alloy steel heads but now with a little more character. Forging marks will vary from piece to piece.
Velvicut Premium Axes from Council Tool. Seasoned, experienced craftsmen combine 127 years of tool making know-how, modern techniques, and excellent materials. Premium axes are drop forged from alloy steel for strength and toughness. Heads are rough ground and profiled in a robotic work cell. Bits are quenched and tempered for superior edge holding. Bit sharpening is by hand with increasingly fine grit abrasives and finished with leather. Custom handles, selected for grain orientation and density, are grade “A” American hickory. Axe heads are lightly oiled and left unpainted to showcase the natural steel beauty. MADE IN THE USA.
These top-of-the-line, world class axes are made for the serious user, collector, outdoorsman, or tool aficionado. They are not for everyone but rather for those who seek the very best.
2 lb Hudson Bay Premium Velvicut axe (Council Code: JP20HB24C) is a shape and size ideal for camping, light forest work and bushcraft. The Hudson Bay is small enough to pack and carry yet big enough to get the job done. 2 lb head plus handle combines for an overall tool weight of approximately 2-3/4 lbs.
The 24-inch hickory handle (before assembly) is produced from a blank selected for grain orientation and density, making it strong. The Council Tool handle pattern features a prominent grip and a slim body that allows the handle to flex a bit, improving its ergonomics.
- Forged from 5160 grade alloy steel. "Council" is displayed on one side of the head, and the other is proudly marked "USA".
- Bit is heat treated and quenched approximately 1" inch from the cutting edge, then tempered for maximum edge holding and toughness. Final hardness Rc 52-56.
- Handle is made of grade "A" American hickory and its traditional pattern embodies the heirloom quality of axes from times gone by.
- Forged axe head is hung in a traditional manner using a softwood wedge crossed with a circular steel wedge for added security.
- Axe head is coated with light oil to prevent rusting and to showcase the exceptional Council Tool craftsmanship. A Linseed oil coating is applied to protect the handle.
- Premium leather sheath protects the tool and user and features a buckle for fastening, a belt slit and an embossed logo. Sheath is MADE IN THE USA.
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate.