Top Quality Axe – Made in the USA by Council Tools – Established in 1886
Velvicut Premium Axes from Council Tool. Seasoned, experienced craftsmen combine 127 years of tool making know-how, modern techniques, and excellent materials. Premium axes are drop forged from alloy steel for strength and toughness. Heads are rough ground and profiled in a robotic work cell. Bits are quenched and tempered for superior edge holding. Bit sharpening is by hand with increasingly fine grit abrasives and finished with leather. Custom handles, selected for grain orientation and density, are grade “A” American hickory. Axe heads are lightly oiled and left unpainted to showcase the natural steel beauty. MADE IN THE USA.
These top-of-the-line, world class axes are made for the serious user, collector, outdoorsman, or tool aficionado. They are not for everyone but rather for those who seek the very best.
This 4 lb heirloom American felling axe is produced by experienced artisans. The Dayton pattern is a timeless shape and much preferred by skilled woodsmen for a full-sized felling axe. After the head is forged, much care is taken in the finishing process. The axe head is rough ground in a robotic work cell and then sharpened by an experienced craftsman using increasingly fine abrasives and then finished with leather stropping.
* Forged from 5160 grade alloy steel for strength, toughness, durability and the ability to hold an edge. "Council" is displayed on one side of the head, and the other is marked "USA".
* Heat treated and quenched to produce a hardened edge extending 1-1/2 inches up the bit for maximum edge holding. The edge is tempered to Rc 52-56 to hold an edge without becoming brittle.
* Handle is made of grade "A" American hickory and its traditional pattern embodies the heirloom quality of axes from times gone by. The grade "A" hickory handle is selected for grain orientation and density. Handle is mounted to the head in a traditional manner using a softwood wedge crossed with a steel wedge for added security.
* The axe head is coated with oil to prevent rusting and to showcase its natural beauty. A Linseed oil coating is applied to protect the handle.
* A premium leather sheath is included to protect the tool and user and features a buckle for fastening and an embossed logo. Sheath is MADE IN THE USA.
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate
We carry a good range of Council Tool axes and other quality USA made tools.