Top Quality Axe – Made in the USA by Council Tools – Established in 1886
2-1/4 lb Dayton Premium Velvicut mid-sized Axe
Velvicut Premium Axes from Council Tool. Seasoned, experienced craftsmen combine 127 years of tool making know-how, modern techniques, and excellent materials. Premium axes are drop forged from alloy steel for strength and toughness. Heads are rough ground and profiled in a robotic work cell. Bits are quenched and tempered for superior edge holding. Bit sharpening is by hand with increasingly fine grit abrasives and finished with leather. Custom handles, selected for grain orientation and density, are grade “A” American hickory. Axe heads are lightly oiled and left unpainted to showcase the natural steel beauty. MADE IN THE USA.
These top-of-the-line, world class axes are made for the serious user, collector, outdoorsman, or tool aficionado. They are not for everyone but rather for those who seek the very best.
The Dayton Premium Velvicut mid-sized axe is modelled after the well-known “Boy's Axe” of the US Forest Service. This beauty takes improved performance one step further. The Dayton patterned head features somewhat thicker cheeks than other axes in the marketplace. Its angle is approximately 25° but is slightly convex. This superlative design feature is preferred by many tool experts, including the US Forest Service. Its profile, in conjunction with its sharpness, provides a deep bite into wood -- like American hardwoods -- without sticking. Each axe is hand-sharpened (to fit a gauge, ensuring consistency).
Handle pattern features a prominent grip and a slim body that allows the handle to flex a bit, improving the ergonomics. Its traditional pattern embodies the heirloom quality of axes from times gone by.
The Dayton Premium Velvicut Axe is a great mid-sized tool perfect for camping, lighter forest work and bushcraft. It's small enough to split kindling but is still capable of felling small trees.
- 2.5 lb head (overall tool weight is 3.5 lb)
- Forged using 5160 grade alloy steel. "Council" is displayed on one side of the head, and the other is proudly marked "USA".
- Bit is heat treated and quenched approximately 1" inch from the cutting edge, then tempered for maximum edge holding and toughness. Final hardness Rc 52-56.
- 28" handle (before assembly) is made of grade "A" American hickory and selected for grain orientation and density, making it strong. Mounted to head in the traditional manner using a softwood wedge crossed with a steel wedge for added security.
- Axe head is coated with light oil to prevent rusting and to showcase the exceptional Council Tool craftsmanship. A Linseed oil coating is applied to protect the handle.
- Premium leather sheath protects the tool and user and features a buckle for fastening, a belt slit and an embossed logo. Sheath is MADE IN THE USA.
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate
We carry a good range of Council Tool axes and other quality USA made tools.