Top Quality “Dayton” Pattern Single Bit Axe 36 inch
Made in the USA by Council Tools – Established in 1886
4 lb “Dayton” Pattern Single Bit Axe. (40DR36C)
All Council axe heads are drop forged from high quality tool steel. The forging is then processed in an abrasive robotic work cell where the trim lines are removed, the shape refined and the cutting edges are ground, which yields highly consistent heads. Cutting edges are then heat treated and tempered. ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition. The final sharpening of the cutting edge is by hand using fine grit abrasives. Care is taken to not affect the tempered hardness of the bit. Heads are either painted or lacquered to deter rust and all polished surfaces are lacquered or oiled. American hickory handles are dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Handles are affixed to the heads using an extruded aluminum wedge which locks the head in a mechanical bond.
The Dayton Pattern axe is the most-recognized axe pattern. So named for originating in the Dayton Ohio area, this is a great all around axe pattern available in various head weights and handle options.
4 lb. Dayton pattern single bit axe with a 36" curved wooden handle. Dayton pattern so named for the Dayton, Ohio area. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 4.75" of overall length and the poll is square.
* Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
* Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
* ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
* Head coated with red enamel and cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
* 36" curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
* Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite size and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
* The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate
We carry a good range of Council Tool axes and other quality USA made tools.