Top Quality “Hudson Bay" Axe
Made in the USA by Council Tools – Established in 1886
1.75lb “Hudson Bay” Camp Axe with 18 inch Handle (175HB18)
All Council axe heads are drop forged from high quality tool steel. The forging is then processed in an abrasive robotic work cell where the trim lines are removed, the shape refined and the cutting edges are ground, which yields highly consistent heads. Cutting edges are then heat treated and tempered. ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition. The final sharpening of the cutting edge is by hand using fine grit abrasives. Care is taken to not affect the tempered hardness of the bit. Heads are either painted or lacquered to deter rust and all polished surfaces are lacquered or oiled. American hickory handles are dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Handles are affixed to the heads using an extruded aluminum wedge which locks the head in a mechanical bond.
1.75 lb. Hudson Bay Axe head outfitted with an 18" curved hickory handle One-handed camp axe.
Used for light splitting, chopping, driving tent pegs, etc.The pattern is thought to have originated from "Biscayan" in Northern Spain, near France. French traders used this hand axe as a trade tool in their dealings with Native Americans for fur and other commodities in the Hudson Bay area, St. Lawrence River, and other trade routes.
* Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
* Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
*ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
* Head coated with black enamel and the cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
* 18" American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
* Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight, and does not change size with moisture content.
* The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" - 1 of the handle is removed during assembly making the overall length of the tool around 17".
Please note: You must be 18 years of age or over to purchase this axe. Axes will be delivered by courier and a signature from a person of 18 years of age or older will be required before parcels are handed over. You may be asked for proof of age.
All lengths and measurements are approximate
We carry a good range of Council Tool axes and other quality USA made tools.